Thursday 15 October 2009

Research; 3D Films


To get me started looking for inspiration and style I sat myself down to watch a few animated movies, this helped me as it was a good chance to look at character models at professional level. It also helped me look at styles I like and point me in the right direction for concept artists to look at.

The first film I watched was Up, I found this exceptionally inspirational and though there were no sign of monkeys or gorillas (but there was some pretty show stopping dogs), the children in this film rocked my world.
Literally everything about
them was incredible. This couldn't have come at a better time as, I must admit Pocahontas' design was playing on my mind a lot as of late. Hopefully seeing this movie will steer me towards some design ideas and some research towards the concept art.


Here is an example of some concept art for up which i found via the internet, there was no information on whom it is by, but i can hopefully find out with a bit of research and by purchasing this book.

After thinking about the
brief, and knowing that I would be using a
gorilla in my project I decided that i should watch a film involving creatures. I decided to watch Monsters vs Aliens. However much I love the film, I do not feel it benefitted me a great deal, although the use of colour in this film is magnificent and watching the animation on Dr Cockroa
ch was a little helpful as he is a civilized character (most of the time).

Lastly I watched possibly one of my favourite Pixar movies. The Incredibles. I knew I HAD to look at this movie since I completed my research on gorillas. The reason for this is because after studying the silver backs frame in the images I chose, their powerful stance and body shape struck me and reminded me instantly of Mr Incredible. I knew I had to watch this movie so I could study Mr incredible's frame and see what sort of model I could work with. I have to say this helped me great deal and i can already visualize the sort of frame i want to give Cornelius.

The incredibles also include the characters Dash and Jack Jack, who were definitely good to look at for some additional help in designing Pocahontas. I especially love some of the concepts I found for some of the characters. More art I must look into.

No comments:

Post a Comment